Skip to content

CalFresh FAQs

What is CalFresh?

You can find out more about CalFresh on our Outreach page.

What are the CalFresh eligibility qualifications for students?

You can find more information about eligibility qualifications for students here.  

Can I get help with my application?

  • UC Merced's CalFresh Outreach advocates provide students with application assistance. You can sign up for an appointment here. If you need to talk to a county representative, please contact your county's Human Services Agency.
  • For those who reside in Merced County, you can call (209)385-3000 to speak to a county CalFresh representative.

Which county do I apply in?

You should apply in the county that you are currently living in.

Where can I use my CalFresh Benefits/What can I buy?

  • You can use your benefits at any store in the United States that accepts EBT.
  • You can buy most grocery food items, including plants and seeds to grow food. You can NOT buy: hot foods, pet food, vitamins and medicines, alcohol, fast food, or tobacco.

Will receiving CalFresh benefits affect my financial aid or taxes?

No, receiving CalFresh will not affect your financial aid nor taxes.

Will receiving CalFresh benefits affect my immigration status?

  • Visit "A CalFresh Guide for Immigrants" for more information.
  • The UC Immigrant Legal Services Center provides FREE immigration-related legal consultations, Know Your Rights Workshops, and immigrant legal resources for UC Merced students and their immediate family members (parents, siblings, spouses, and children). Visit Legal Services for more information. 

Can I get help with my SAR7/redetermination form?

Visit our SAR7 page or contact us at with your UCM email.

Where do I turn in the verification forms I was asked for?

You should mail/drop off your documents to your county's Human Services Agency. The Merced County's Human Services Agency address can be found here.

What happens if I wasn't able to turn in my documents on time?

Turn in your documents as soon as possible. You will have to re-apply if you were unable to finish the process within 30 days.

If your question was not answered here, please email us at using your UCM email